Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Why CTCA?

So before I share any further on our trip here, I just wanted to share how we were led to the Cancer Treatment Centers of America.  Over these past couple of years especially, we have seen how God is in AND CARES about the tiniest details of our lives.  This journey has been no exception.  After the whirl-wind of the first week and the discouragement & lack of peace we felt with the doctors, we really began almost begging God for guidance and wisdom to help find the right doctors & the right treatment options for me.  My body has always been super sensitive to medications and such which is why, over the years, I've tried more and more natural remedies for certain things.  This is also why I know without a doubt that, for me, a strictly conventional treatment would not work well.

But, I digress.  :-)  Getting back to my story, the night before my biopsy, I had an appointment with my chiropractor (who also "happens" to have a wholistic practice in the Springs) and told her about what was going on.  In the course of that conversation she mentioned that if I did find out I had cancer, she had heard good things about the Cancer Treatment Centers of America and that they combined conventional with alternative treatments and to check them out.  While I was waiting for my results, I did briefly check them out but once I saw that they weren't in the Springs area, I assumed that was that and ruled them out.   Skipping now past that first week, I had to call our insurance company and our benefits person at Jim's work to get some more information on how our insurance works for a certain test the doctors had wanted to order.  Towards the end of the conversation with the benefits person, she mentioned that we could go out of the city if we didn't find anyone we liked in the Springs area.  "What?"  I asked.  "Oh yeah.  We have a national network so if you don't like what you're finding in the Springs you could go up to Denver and some people even go out of state.  Just try to stay in network because it's cheaper."  Really?!  I started to get excited.  We had been desperately praying for someone in the Springs but what if God allowed our experience to be really negative because He had a different plan all along?!  So then I REALLY started checking into CTCA's website and noticed that not only did they have conventional but they had nutritionists, naturopathic doctors, massage therapists, accupuncturists.  What?!  This seemed too good to be true so I called them up to get more information.  Yes, they verified that all of these pieces are part of an individual treatment plan that they come up with for each patient.  Then they said that they will fly us both out for FREE for the 3-5 day evaluation where they will put us up for up to 6 days for a total of $75 and will give us 60% off the cafeteria food which serves organic, hormone-free (& some gluten free) options.  And then, if I become a patient, they will continue to handle ALL of the transportation for FREE for me for the rest of my treatment and I will pay a discounted rate if I need to stay overnight and will continue to get 60% off the food.  They asked about our insurance and when I told them, they thought that it would be covered but that they would have their finance people call me and verify so that we can decide if we want to set up an evaluation.  I can't even tell you how excited I was when I got off the phone.  This was exactly what we were praying for!  I called Jim and he started praying and then I decided to call my parents and ask them to pray.  This is where it gets even more interesting!  When I brought this up to my mom on the phone, she got so excited.  She told me that she remembered hearing their ads when they lived in Chicago and checked into it (unbeknownst to my dad and myself) when I was diagnosed but when she saw that they weren't in Colorado she ruled it out.  She then shared this w/my dad who got on the phone and said that when I was diagnosed, he was doing research about my cancer on the internet and the site that had the best information was....CTCA!  He checked unbeknownst to my mom and myself and when he realized that there wasn't a location in Colorado, he too ruled it out.  All 3 of us had come across CTCA unbeknownst to the others, all 3 of us got excited about it but then all 3 of us ruled it out when it seemed like it wasn't a possibility.  God then brought it BACK across all of our paths through the benefits person at Jim's work!

So, we all began praying earnestly and trusting God to continue to work out the details.  The next day we heard back from CTCA that we were covered but as an out of network provider BUT....if we would bring a copy of our benefits information, they will HONOR our in-network benefits!!!!  Yay God!!!  And within 1 week, our trip was set up and here we are.  God is IN THE TINEST of details, my friends!  He loves us SO much and cares about the little things.  They might seem insignificant but they are important to Him because we are important to Him.

1 comment:

  1. That is inspirational and so glad you have the peace of knowing He is with you, your family every step of the way. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete