Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Surgery day

Today was my surgery day and boy am I glad that this part is over!  Yes, I'm actually writing this myself!  I have had 2 (out of 4) very negative surgery experiences where I've experienced waking up in the middle of the surgery, extreme nausea & chills, staff not listening to me, being left alone while freezing cold and trying to wake up and being rushed to get me out well before I was ready.  All (except for the waking up part) I experienced w/my knee surgery back in April and all were deep fears and concerns that I had going into this surgery.  I am DEEPLY thankful that God did not allow any of those to happen today.  The staff was absolutely amazing about making sure that I was warm enough and didn't wake up alone.  The anesthesiologist gave me "less" nausea inducing medicines and anesthesia and really took the time to listen to my fears.  I even got to pray with one of the chaplains' prior to going back and that was really helpful.

So glory and honor to God for really helping me through today!  I am back in our room and out of recovery and doing well with minor pain so far.  The surgeon indicated that everything went well and they were able to get all of the tumor w/clean margins so that is good.  They took my sentinel lymph nodes to biopsy and to see if the cancer has spread.  The sentinel lymph nodes are the first lymph nodes to get the cancer from the tumor IF the cancer spreads so they check those first.  We should have all of that information either by the end of the week or for sure by the time I fly back on 11/30 for my follow up appointment and treatment plan.

Thank you all so much for your prayers!  Today was rough leading up to the surgery so we appreciated and needed every single one!  Tomorrow we fly home so we'd appreciate your prayers that everything goes smoothly and that I'm not too wiped out for the flight.  I'll try and update more tonight but need to get a little rest.  Thank you all SO MUCH!  We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment