Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Moms and beyond

Had an incredible day at Moms and Beyond!  I love it when God gives you a theme and then continues the theme through different venues!  Today's group was about Counting gifts and trying to savor the here and now.  What really resonated with me was excerpts from a book that was shared called "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp.  She was challenged by a friend to try and count 1000 blessings and decided to journal that experience which turned out to be life changing and turned into this book.  You can read more about that in her blog at www.aholyexperience.com  At any rate, in one of the chapters she shares about how in the midst of doing laundry and doing some photography, her 5 year old asked to be able to take some pictures with her camera.  She decided to let her and began to be drawn into this amazing experience w/her little girl at the end of which they shared some precious snuggling & tickling time.  And I was reminded again of God's interruptions and how if she had done what I do all the time and put off her child, she would have missed this precious interruption.  I was again reminded that God wants to interrupt not just my life but my day to day and who knows what kinds of precious and amazing adventures I will have with Him if I am but flexible?!  I thought back to the last few days that have been hard because the girls have been acting out but as a result we've also had some really amazing little conversations.  What if even bad behavior can be an interruption from God, an opportunity for a precious teaching moment with one of my girls?  Oh, how I long to have more of these interruptions from God!  I want the twists and the turns and the adventures!  Imagine how rich life would become if we could be open enough to allow these interruptions and have our tired, boring days turned into vibrant, surprising adventures!  Then we'd truly be able to not only count the blessings and gifts in our lives, we'd be able to treasure them.

2 comments:

  1. That is so amazing! I found Ann Voskamp's blog not long ago, and have been so moved by the same things! In the midst of some really difficult things lately, I have been reminded to simply stop and count blessings, to stop and say thanks, to make gratitude a habit...and we have so much for which to be grateful! One of those things, dear friend, is you, and the way God has spoken to me through you.

    God, the very same Creator of All Things, the Most High, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Master, Savior, Holy and Awesome, Lord Almighty, looks at us with such love! That He loves us with such tender compassion? Is that not the most amazing thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that, sister! I'm so humbled that He not only loves me but He cares about the tiny details of my life. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete